Stevey's Blog Rants: The Universal Design Pattern: "Today I thought I'd talk about a neat design pattern that doesn't seem to get much love: the Properties Pattern. In its fullest form it's also sometimes called the Prototype Pattern.
People use this pattern all over the place, and I'll give you a nice set of real-life examples in a little bit. It's a design pattern that's useful in every programming language, and as we'll see shortly, it's also pretty darn useful as a general-purpose persistence strategy.
But even though this pattern is near-universal, people don't talk about it very often. I think this is because while it's remarkably flexible and adaptable, the Properties Pattern has a reputation for not being 'real' design or 'real' modeling. In fact it's often viewed as a something of a shameful cheat, particularly by overly-zealous proponents of object-oriented design (in language domains) or relational design (in database domains.) These well-meaning folks tend to write off the Properties Pattern as 'just name/value pairs' – a quick hack that will just get you into trouble down the road."
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Stevey's Blog Rants: The Universal Design Pattern
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment